Well folks, it’s here. 2018! WHAT THE WHAT?? I never thought I’d be blogging again (my old blog is about 7 years old) so as the old saying goes, “out with the old and in with the new!” My goal is to provide you fashionistas with loads of tips and inspo to keep your heart and faces happy. After all, it takes a village and I’m excited to have you be a part of my glam squad tribe. Want MORE free stuff? To sign up for free VIP only specials, click on the link on the right tab to sign up!
Okey doke, here’s my top 10 list of best makeup tips for 2018.
- Get organized. Hang on, I know what you’re thinking…Meredith what does this have to do with makeup? It has EVERYTHING to do with it! If you are organized in everyday life, you’ll feel more confident and like the real lady boss you’ve always wanted to be and will be starting NOW. I purchased a new planner by Erin Condren and so far I’m slowly weaning myself off my old spiral bound notebook from Michael’s. Hey, no judging it was a buck! Check out the video on my blog for more info on my new planner. Any planner works to accomplish the task of organizing your appointments and notes, I’m just super picky in general and if you know me you know what I mean.
- Mink lashes. Yes hon-ay!! The minks is where it’s at. It takes your makeup look from ordinary to so EXTRA-ordinary! I couldn’t have said it better than Cara Mund, Miss America 2018. “Meredith Boyd Cosmetics mink lashes are game changers.” Welp folks. There you go. Miss America has spoken. To order yours, check out the SHOP tab on the right hand side of your screen.
- Self Tanner. That skin better be poppin’ even in winter, k? A little glow goes a long way. Nothing better than getting a fresh spray tan. My secret is to only spray your face, neck and arms this time of year. It really gives the skin a boost of color and ladies of all skin tones, it will enhance your skin so it’s more vibrant and radiant. Stay tuned for my favorite self tanner products in upcoming blog posts.
- Exfoliate. Head to toe doll, it better be squeaky clean. Did you really think self tanning in the winter was a good idea without exfoliating? Nope. Just no. Okay here’s my lil’ trick o’roonie on getting rid of that old cocoon of skin you got growin’ on you. Take 1 cup of arm and hammer (heck, take the generic store brand and save a few cents) baking soda and 1 cup of REAL lemon juice. Mix and make a paste and smear it all over and wait. Jam out to your fav tunes for 10 minutes, call a friend (facetime from the neck up) or shop online…then hop in the shower and scrub all over with a loofa or exfoliating glove and watch that old stuff slide right off. It works! I’ll be doing a step by step post on this body treatment soon.
- Hydrate. Morning AND night my queens. Recently I’ve had a surge of clients tell me they are not using moisturizer. I totally get it. It’s so confusing and you may not even know why you need to use it. In order for your makeup to look fabulous, you must do three things. Wash your face with a good cleanser (not to abrasive) like Cetaphil or something gentle, then moisturize then use a primer before makeup. Now you can go really extra and after you wash use a facial serum then a moisturizer to lock it in. That combo is absolute skin magic. But if your skin is oily a serum is probably just enough hydration to keep your skin happy. Now, don’t neglect your skin at night. That is when the repairing happens is while you sleep! Use a night cream after you wash your face and slather it on then hit the hay. Your skin will wake up plump, revived and radiant.
- Kissable Lips. Pucker up buttercup. Countless clients sit in my chair and apologize for having eaten up chapped lips this time of year. Mother pucker it hurts. It’s an easy fix. Here’s my go to pucker potion. Use 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Mix in a small bowl and apply to lips and scrub for 30 seconds. Wipe clean and use a lip balm to seal in your new kisser. I use Vaseline Lip Therapy. I also like Yes to Coconut Lip Oil and Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm too. Better get em’ ready for Valentine’s Day!
- The perfect pinky nude lip. Been searching for the best pinky nude lip? One that is not too pink and not too nude? Keep reading sisters. This combo is the most popular of all lip looks for 2018. First start off with a lip liner. A lipliner is essential to keep the lipstick from moving outside the lines and you can even create a more plumped look by using lip liner just on the border of your natural lip line. The key is using a natural shade. Then apply a liquid lipstick and I love using two coats for a super rich look and top it off with a light sheer pink gloss. Wha-la! Sexy lips for day and night. My go to lip set is “Cara’s Lip Trio” from Meredith Boyd Cosmetics.
- Primer. It’s just like painting…prime first then paint for a flawless result. First moisturize, prime then foundation. I love all kinds of primers. I have one in my own makeup line. I use several kinds depending on how my skin feels. Check out my friends at Camera Ready Cosmetics. They are the bomb.com. Right now I’m using Becca First Light Priming Filter. It’s purple so it awakens the skin for foundation. Purple softens dullness. Yes please I’ll have another. And if you are super oily check out Becca Ever Matte Poreless Primer. It will shrink your skin up like a raisin so a little goes a long way.
- Mirror Mirror on the wall. Who’s the fairest of them all? YOU my loves! What do you use to apply our makeup? If you’re not blessed with the abundance of natural light my go to lighted table side mirror is by ihome found at Bed Bath and Beyond.
- Tools. Are you still using that old applicator from your eyeshadow container? Stop. Right. There. The right brushes are the key to helping you create a beautiful look every time. Investing in a good set of brushes is essential to helping you become a makeup artist on our own face. From foundation, blush, contour, concealer, lip, brow, eyeshadow and more Meredith Boyd Cosmetics has you covered with it’s 15 Piece Pro-Brush set.
Love your lashes, love your lips, hope you win!